Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] 222 Activity Night

To: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <newsvhf@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] 222 Activity Night
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 13:18:36 -0500
Hi Dave K1WHS, and others

David Olean wrote:

I am sure that we can adjust our lives and spend the time necessary

I realize I have yet to prove that I can now be there most Tuesday evenings, but I would like to think I am living proof of that. Moving my Tuesday activities to Monday was no small thing and it affected many people besides myself. I first asked about making this change a few weeks after you got 222 Activity Night going. It was not possible at that time without having serious impact on others. It took several months get things worked out to do this without putting anyone else in a difficult situation but in the end I was able to do it. 222 Activity Night was THE reason I made this change. I am grateful to those who rearranged their schedules to make this happen.

I'm just glad that I am now able to be on, even if I only get four contacts. Four is better than zero! I know that I can and will make more and over longer distances during the warmer months. Even now I could stretch the distance at least another 100km if there were moderate to large stations at that distance.

222 is my favorite band of the "lower four" and I often dream about one day having a bigger, more powerful setup than I do now. I could do it over a period of a couple of years if I were willing to give up some existing bands (to vacate tower space) and my 10 GHz efforts. As tempting as that is, I've contracted a particularly nasty case of 10 Gig fever and am devoting 100% of available resources to getting on that band. This too shall eventually pass (when I have taken that as far as I can) and there is still hope for something bigger on 222 in the future.

I wish there was more local activity near me on 222 as well as other VHF and up bands. But the return on investment this far from the activity centers is so low I really can't blame anyone for not doing it. If I had any common sense, I wouldn't do it either! Fortunately I have always been a bit lacking for common sense!

Qwertyitis is a definite possibility here, depending on just where the chair is at the time. I have the keyboard mounted to the front of the desk, just under the overhang of the desk top, using metal brackets. Most likely, my face impacting it would bust it right off of there!

I will see some of you next week. Meanwhile, I will catalog the several birdies I have here and pick a nice clear spot. In warmer weather I may investigate to see where they are coming from. They do seem to be from an external source.

73,
Paul N1BUG
FN55 Mighty Frigid (at this time of year)