[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night FN55

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <newsvhf@mailman.qth.net>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night FN55
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 05:20:27 -0400
I was on the tower wrestling with two runs of 3/4" CATV cable I am installing when I realized the sun was right in my face and it was Tuesday. That can only mean one thing: time to get down and fire up the rig for 222 Activity Night! It was about 6:30 local time at that point. That is late in the day for me to even have my eyelids up, let alone be actively engaged in battle up on a tower. I guess I was still running on adrenaline from the excitement of discovering that I really could push two more runs of that cable through 90 feet of buried conduit that was already pretty full. The darn mice chewed off the pull rope I had in the conduit during the winter, but without a second person to assist it wouldn't have helped with this job anyway. The bad news is I was not able to get the first new cable through with a new pull rope alongside, so now I have no rope through the conduit. I might need to add another control cable at some point, and if I do the only option will be to pull an existing control cable out while pulling a rope or two new cables in. Oh well. It can be done, just not in a preferred or easy way.

Stations worked:

N1JEZ   FN44   SSB
K1WHS   FN43   SSB
WZ1V   FN31   SSB
K1PXE  FN31   CW
WA1PBU   FN42   CW    10 watts!
WA1T   FN43   CW

N1JEZ was surprisingly weak and I was worried about conditions. K1WHS was loud but I can't judge conditions from that. Dave is always loud!

WZ1V was calling CQ on CW. I tried to answer on CW but my keyer paddle had dust in the contacts and all I was getting was a mess of random dits and dahs. Ron switched over to SSB where we easily had a brief chat with 100% copy. Things were looking up!

After Ron I wasn't hearing anybody else. I took a short break to clean the paddle contacts and stretch. A few minutes later I came back to hear K1PXE calling CQ on CW, solid 559 which is uncommonly strong for Pete. When I called, Pete said "Wow" and he remained very solid throughout our QSO.

When I finished with Pete I heard someone call me while sliding up in frequency. I followed and it was WA1PBU with 10 watts! Absolutely solid 529 and I never missed a dit during the QSO.

WA1T called me right after WA1PBU. Al was solid 559 and said he was running without the amplifier.

After that I called CQ for a while, tuned around for a while, called CQ some more, tuned around some more but couldn't find anyone else to work. I didn't feel motivated to try FT8.

73,
Paul N1BUG
FN55mf