[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz EME Weekend

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz EME Weekend
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 09:28:26 -0400
Friday was pretty exciting, and conditions seemed quite good.  I was active from about 2200 UT to 0200 UT.   There was a very good amount of activity.   For Saturday, I hope to be QRV at about 23:30 UT or so. I am planning on fishing during the day and will try to get home in time to partake of the good conditions.   If you have an "itch" to see if your 222 receive system is up to snuff, listening on your Moon rise is a good way to see.  Most of us have noise issues on the horizon.  With digital TV and their broadband noise-like signals, front end overload can be a problem that you do not even recognize. The TV signals sound like cosmic noise.  Listening for weak EME signals on your horizon is a good test.

At 23:30 this evening, my Moon position will be at 10 degrees elevation.  The Moon will be up already in the midwest and southeast, but I can't really get home any earlier.  My Moonrise in Maine is the same time as Moonrise in Ohio today. The reason is that the Moon declination is now -14 degrees below the celestial equator. Maine is farther North!

73

Dave K1WHS