Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] Sept 20, 2022 222 Activity Night

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] Sept 20, 2022 222 Activity Night
From: Paul N1BUG FN55mf <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 21:19:43 -0400
I am pleased to hear K1WHS is well on his way to getting the big generator going again! Dave was mighty loud here despite greatly reduced power.

Conditions were about as bad as they get. I worked K1WHS, WZ1V, WA1T, and W3CJK. Thanks to Dave for telling W3CJK not to be so quick to turn his beam as I was calling him! Signals were much weaker than usual. I heard K1PXE on a peak but lost him to QSB before we could work. I tried a sked with KE1LI, heard him solid 559 for one CW transmission, then nothing for a while, then some weak but unreadable traces.

I really appreciate my solid state amp on 222. It is the only band where I am mot using tubes. It is nice to just hit the power switch and go. With the high cost of electricity Dave noted, it is nice that in standby the amp and power supply only consume an estimated 25 watts, compared to over 400 watts for any of my tube amplifiers in standby. That is significant.

73,
Paul N1BUG