Re: [VHFcontesting] Big aurora on Saturday

To: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>, VHF Contesting eMail Remailer <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Big aurora on Saturday
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 10:40:34 -0400

Hi VHF DXers,

It looks like another big X flare occurred at about 3 AM EDST on Friday morning. The probability for May 11 is now up from 35 to 50% for mid latitudes, so things could get very interesting.  The latest CME  may not be Earth directed for the most part, but it will add to the force of the Solar wind etc.  Ev is right about the Bz and it needs to be negative for an aurora event.  We also need it to arrive at nighttime in North America. Our last aurora happened at about 3 PM and Europe got a minor storm while we got almost nothing. Bz started out negative, but then went positive right when we could have gotten started in the late afternoon/ early evening.  Only a few signals were copied on 144 from VE2 and VE3. I heard zilch from FN43.   My advice is to pay attention and monitor a VHF band like 50 MHz. When you detect an aurora starting up on six meters, start making noise on the higher bands. If you are new to aurora operation, be aware that antenna aiming can be crucial. With sharp antennas, the best signal strength direction will travel around with time.  Always try turning the beam and attempt to peak signals  as you go along. Here in Maine, I always start out with my antenna azimuth quite a bit to the West. If I hear nothing, I then swing in more northward. Aiming North will provide the strongest signals on other stations that are at your same longitude. ( and not very DX!)  There is no activity for me on the higher bands to my North and East, but if you live in the Midwest, you should be aware that your first signals might appear from the East, and having your antenna favoring northeast would be a good strategy to detect signals.  What you hear is related to your magnetic latitude, which is different from your geographical latitude. I liken it to a game of billiards as you back scatter off wherever the auroral curtain is. Just remember that the curtain is always moving.  As the evening wears on, the curtain tends to move Westward. In addition, the type of curtain changes later in the event and this can also affect what you can work. All very interesting and worth your while to read about.  The upper atmosphere is quite similar to a TV color picture tube.

Back in 1982 or thereabouts, I had a crazy idea to set up an EME system on Pack Monadnock, a good sized New Hampshire mountain. I joined the MACOM W1FC June VHF Contest operation.  We were greeted by fantastic auroral conditions on both Saturday and Sunday.  We worked most of our EME sked stations on Aurora and did not need any EME skeds!!  It was a blast. I recall working Minnesota and K0DAS in Iowa, plus many more exotic states on 220 MHz aurora. By Early Sunday evening, my ears were ringing from so many CW contacts, that I took a break and walked outside. I looked at the 222 array that was pointed almost West. Then I looked at the 144 MHz van and saw their 4 X yagi array aimed due North.  I stuck my head into the 144 operating position and was told to get lost as they were busy working an aurora. I asked them what they were working, and they said VE1s and VE2s.  I told them to turn their antenna almost due West and they argued with me that for an aurora you had to aim North! These two guys were not VHF DXers, and had no clue on how to operate. They were not turning the yagis, but just pointed them North. When I told them that I just worked Iowa on 222MHz with 57A signals, they listened to me and started turning the beam and instantly started working stations much farther away.  In the end, our 220 MHz station ended up with more sections than the two meter station, which is unheard of. This was before grid squares.  It all comes down to knowing what to do and learning how to bank your billiard shot around the billiard table.

So good luck this weekend and pray that we get some good conditions.  I will be on or about 222.100 CW.  I will monitor the ON4KST 144/432 Region 2 Chat as well.  My Cell # is 207 608 5317 in the shack.

73

Dave K1WHS