Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] stuff happens and 222 Activity Night is he

To: "David Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] stuff happens and 222 Activity Night is here!!
From: "Ron Klimas WZ1V" <wz1v@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2024 13:42:37 -0400
I'll be on only a short time tonight with my crippled amp.
The failure was not from any parasitic oscillation. It was due to
a floating solder connection at a high current point at the output.
It may be duly diligent for anyone with a solid state amp to take note:
Pigtail coax connections between circuit boards need to be
making physical connection with the clad they're soldered to.
The ends need to be formed or bent in such a way so there's
downward tension of the center conductor against the solder pad,
before it is soldered. This is the second amplifier I've owned that
failed because a pigtail center conductor wire was not touching
it's pad before being soldered. It may look like a shiny good joint
when made, but over time, the high RF current will melt away
the solder in the gap causing it to blow open someday.
My W6PQL KW failed this way after a year, and now this one.

To make matters worse, just my luck the link another good buddy sent
to purchase MRF-151G's was not to Richardson Electronics, but to
a similar named German company with a few US field offices, They
charged my credit card over $300 then promptly lost my order, leaving
me FET-less and fighting with the Germans and my creditcard company.

73 Ron WZ1V