[VHFcontesting] FW: CQWW VHF N8RA SOAB LP

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <yccc@groups.io>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] FW: CQWW VHF N8RA SOAB LP
From: <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 11:23:37 -0400
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2024

Call: N8RA
Operator(s): N8RA
Station: N8RA

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: FN31, CT
Operating Time (hrs): 8
OpMode: SO2R

    6:  104    35
    2:   45    23
-------------------
Total:  149    58  Total Score = 11,252

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

After fixing the broken gear found during the ARRL Jun VHF, I thought I’d be
good to go with this event, but it started out poorly.

At the start, SSB transmit audio levels were all out of whack and that took a
bit of fussing to balance out. I have two antennas for 2M; one is fixed
southwest, and the other is rotary. The rotary one had a very high swr, so that
would be a big handicap for sure. Traced that problem to an intermittent coax
relay in the A/B/Both switch at the base of the tower. Manually exercising that
relay and plenty of contact spray lube/cleaner got it going again.  By the time
I got back to the shack it seemed there were no SSB stations to work. Maybe
there never had been after the first couple, so I moved to FT-8 where I spent
most of my time.

6M E’s were very spotty. The signal strengths of the few stations I worked
varied from +5 to -22 or gone during the QSO. FT-4 would have been much better
to use. I called CQ there a few times but got no replies and saw very little
activity. When I took a few hours’ break mid-morning for Church, I left the 6M
computer monitoring FT-4 but it did not record any activity. Too bad.

That 2M antenna switch acted up once more near the end of the contest but
running it thru its paces from the shack got it going again. The rest of the
station performed well, and I had a good time using it.

Tnx and 73,
Chet, N8RA