Re: [VHFcontesting] The 222 MHz Fall Sprint K1WHS Summary

To: chetsubaccount@snet.net, NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The 222 MHz Fall Sprint K1WHS Summary
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2024 13:12:27 -0400
Yes Chuck, Those are all great ideas.  You are definitely on the right track. I especially like the 1/2 point for stations only heard on CW.  I already have my strategy planned out to maximize my CW hearing ability.  I will drink two bottles of cheap whiskey 20 minutes before the contest and then down a pint every hour up until 02:00 UT on Sunday night. The good thing is that I do not need to drink anything after 02:00 UT. That is a good bonus.  AS for the 10 CQs with no answer, I have that covered as well. I modified my CQ message  so that it never stops. That way I'll never get an answer and will build up more points.

I entered my first VHF contest in 1962. I was a tech licensee and, while I did pass the 5 WPM code test, i was ignorant of CW. I was happy with my 8 watts on 144 MHz AM phone. Working Charlie, W3IBH in Philadelphia during the contest was a real treat for me. That was DX.   (Does anyone else remember Charlie? He worked in landscaping and liked a beer when he got home from a long day. ) There were two entry classes:  Single Op, and Multi Op.  When the scoring was published, I was way down near the bottom in the Connecticut section. I only had one band and my receiver was a 6BQ7A cascode converter and aWW2 Bendix surplus aircraft receiver as an IF. The dial was graduated every 50 kHz. The only way for me to go was up.  I figured that to get ahead, I needed better gear and more bands.  In short order, I dumped the surplus receiver for an old HRO, then a mil version of the AR-88 RCA receiver. It was a big change. I built up an 829B amp for 144, a six meter station, a KW on 144 and many many amps followed.  Sure that was a different time.  To get a better score, you had to do things!  Now we add categories.

Fast forward to today. I just worked WA3EOQ on 222 MHz last night. Big deal right?  Well, it was a big deal. I was aimed at the Moon as it rose, and I actually copied his 85 watts of RF bouncing off the Moon from Western Maryland, and into my receiver. That works out to about 8540 km per each of his watts.  So I was discussing this remarkable feat with my wife and asked if a young kid today would be excited to hear of this. She said "NO, they are too busy looking at their phone."  There lies the problem.  Time is a precious commodity now and  TIC TOC, FACEBOOK, and a million other for profit providers are constantly filling up kids minds with mush. The consumers  are totally consumed with it with plenty left over that they cannot even address.  We are all on sensory overload.  The real world suffers as a result. Hell, we can't even cook dinner anymore and we have to contract out with Door Dash to pick it up. We are just too busy with everything! Forgive my dark answer, but I believe that we are all screwed.

Thanks for the great note!

Dave K1WHS  (Who still has a WW2 Bendix aircraft receiver)