PTT over LPT for IC-740

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: PTT over LPT for IC-740
From: djl@andlev.com (Dan Levin)
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 17:06:38 -0700
First, what little I knew of electrical engineering is now 20+ years old.
Second, as a software guy, I try hard to leave hardware to the hardware
guys.  However, sometimes that is hard to do with radio stuff, and now I am
stuck.  Any help would be most appreciated.

I am trying to interface my PC running WriteLog to my IC-740.  I have the CW
interface working just fine through the LPT port on my computer and the KEY
jack on the radio.  Built a little circuit with a 2n22222 (it was easy, I
can solder, and someone else provided the circuit :-), no problem (thanks to
several other WriteLog users for your help).

My next trick was to get the PTT interface working so I could use the PC as
a digital voice keyer.  So far, no joy.

First, I built the recommended circuit, which is identical to the CW keying
circuit.  It took me a while to figure out that putting out a couple of
millivolts wasn't going to do me any good for PTT - the 740 manual clearly
states that I need to ground pin 3 on the ACC connector.

Ok, so I fool around until I figure out that grounding the emitter, instead
of tieing it to the Strobe (pin 1 on the LPT), made things look much better.
Now when I ask the PC to key the rig, the resistance between the output of
my little circuit and ground goes to basically zero (about .3 ohms by my
meter).

But, when I hook this puppy up to the radio, the strangest thing happens.
When the circuit tries to key the rig, I can hear a relay close in the
radio, and the audio output of the rig is muted, but the transmit light
doesn't come on, and I get no audio out.  Manually grounding the output keys
the rig normally.  Confusion sets in.

Ok, so I can think of two possible problems on my own:

1) .3 ohms isn't zero - and the radio expects a solid short to ground.

2) I am using two different grounds, and this is causing some kind of
problem.  To clarify, when I say that I am grounding the emitter, what I
really mean is that I am tieing the emitter to the ground of the PC.  The PC
and the rig are not grounded each to the other.  I tried using the ground
from the radio instead of the ground from the PC, but that caused my radio
to always be in this partially keyed state.

I am sure that there are others.

So, I am now in completely over my head.  I would appreciate any help,
hints, suggestions, etc. :-)

Thanks much,

            ***dan
            Dan Levin, N6BZA