[WriteLog] psk-31

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] psk-31
From: aa5au@msn.com (Don Hill)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 22:43:58 -0600
Hi Bob and others that might be interested,

PSK31 is normally run on LSB and is AFSK only.  You must feed
audio from your sound board to either your mic input or packet input
on the radio for transmit.  It sounds like your receive is fine.

If you are using FSK for RTTY, then you are probably running the FSK
from a com port to the FSK input of the radio.   But for PSK31 you must
feed audio to the radio from either the speaker output or aux. output of
the sound card.

I'm no expert on PSK31 but in the last two weeks I've spent every night
on this fabulous new mode (worked 7X2BK as my 3rd ever PSK contact
on 40M no less).

Here, I am feeding audio out of my aux. jack to the mic input of my TS870.
However you can use the speaker output of the sound board if you don't
have an aux. jack.  In any case, this audio is most likely way too high in
level for the mic input.  It's best to run this audio thru an isolation
transformer
and attenuate it before feeding it to the radio.  On my SoundBlaster 16
PCI card, I have to set the output to it's lowest level
and also use a 50k ohm pot in line.  The trick on PSK31
is to show zero on your ALC meter while you transmit.  You may not be
able to get full power output out of your 940, but believe me, you won't
need it.

Since you are keying the radio, that's a good start, you are half way there.
Good luck and hope this helps.

73, Don AA5AU