[WriteLog] Where to put OFF TIMES?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Where to put OFF TIMES?
From: edlyn@california.com (Eddie Schneider)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:06:19 -0800
Hi John,

> Well, the SUMMARY page has a "place" to put OFF TIMES.  However, the
> rules state that the CHRONOLOGICAL LOG has to "clearly show" the OFF
> TIMES.

Actually,  the rules state:

" 1. OFF times MUST be CLEARLY marked in the chronological LOG. See
           paragraph XV for penalties. "

So, clearly and marked are the operative words :-)  Therefore, you use a
text editor and  mark the log at the end of the QSO line with OFF and
subseqentially, ON when you log the first contact after your break.

>  Furthermore, Marty's post indicated that that indication should
> be within the 1st 80 columns of the report.

Last year I was not aware that W/L chrono logs went into 110+ columns.
This exceeds the 'norm' for an ASCII text file!  This year, I and the
other log checkers are 'clued' in :-)

> 1.  So are the times of each QSO sufficient for the OFF TIME - eg the
> gaps in time are, in fact, the OFF TIMES?

Nope, see above.

> 2.  Is listing the OFF TIMES on the Summary Sheet sufficient?

Nope, see rule pertaining to how and where to log OFF times.

> 3.  Of should we INSERT A LINE describing the OFF TIME into the
> chronological log wherever there is a time gap that we are claiming for
> an OFF TIME??????

That will work, as long as it is sticks out like a sore thumb.

FYI, the reason for requiring off times in the actual chrono log is
pretty simple.
There are many stns who will only take the bare minimum of off times in
order to be
competitive :-)
When the log checkers scan through many logs with 600-1300 + entries, it
becomes a pain in the rear end to have to run down the Qso entry times,
searching for those very short breaks. If the breaks are CLEARLY MARKED,
life for us unpaid log checkers who have NO log checking software,
impossible deadlines to meet and so on, is made just that bit easier.

73 Eddie,  W6/G0AZT WPX contest mngr.