[WriteLog] RTTY crashing solved!

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] RTTY crashing solved!
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 01:45:31 -0000
Tnx for the suggestions on what to try, although none of them
worked :.)

I tried uninstalling a bunch of programs that I installed in the last
few months with no luck. I uninstalled and reinstalled my sound
card drivers. Also no luck.

Then, I went back to the help files (when in doubt, read the
manual!) Buried in there somewhere was a statement about Ports
saying CW, RTTY and Packet cannot share COM ports. Obvious,
isn't it?  I checked my Ports setup and CW was set to COM4.
Aha... RTTY (FSK) was also set to COM4. Sooo, I went back and
unselected the CW port, lo and behold, RTTY was working again,
and no crashes when switching to various SB modes (AFSK, FSK,
Stereo, etc).

Guess I don't have to go back to that DOS RTTY pgm now...

73,
Barry

P.S. for W5XD - Wayne, now I understand why Rttyrite9.exe alone
worked - it didn't look to the port setup. However, when running
under the full WL, the COM4 CW/RTTY conflict occurred. You may
want to further idiot-proof the setup - either look for conflicts when
the program initializes, or disable the CW port when in RTTY
mode.

Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com