[WriteLog] Notes and ideas from a new user

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Notes and ideas from a new user
From: K2KW" <K2KW@prodigy.net (K2KW)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:16:53 -0700
As I have been trying to learn WL over the past few days, I
started to keep a list of things that I had questions on, or suggestions to
change.  While I have read through a lot of the archive material, I have not
read them all.  So I acknowledge that some of my comments may be a lack of
understanding on how the program works.

For ham radio, I am a 99% die-hard contester.  The only "Casual" operating I
do is running pileups while I am setting up a contest dxpedition from some
remote QTH.  So all my comments come from the desire to have a user
interface that accomodates contest rates that are in the 200+ QSO/hr area.

So far I have created a 2 computer network, interfaced with DXTelnet.  I
have NOT used the program in a contest yet, and may not based on the user
interface limitations I have discovered...  don't get me wrong, as I think
that a number of things work very well, especially for the typical ham and
contester.

Kenny K2KW

My first impressions:

EDITING A QSO

>From a high-speed contest or Dxpeditioners point of view, the User Interface
for editing QSOs is not very good.  At 200/hr++ rates, the last thing you
want to do is take your fingers off the keyboard (e.g. move to a mouse) to
make changes to logged QSOs. Possible ideas for improvement:

Create a keystroke that will allow access to the log window (should land on
the last logged QSO).  (CNTL-G gets you there, but not what I had in mind)
Since most contest errors are with the callsign, that's where the cursor
should land - on the callsign.  Once in the log window,
allow up/down arrows to scroll in window.  at the same time, when you are in
the LOG window, every log entry line you are on should automatically go into
the QSO
EDIT window.  The most important items to change on the fly during a contest
are:  CALL, EXCHANGE, and Signal report.  These items should automatically
go into the EDIT QSO window.

Once a call is edited and you hit return, allow the option for the cursor to
log the next QSO.  This feature should be a
software controlled option.  In most situations as a contester, I will
likely only need to edit one QSO, and then immediately go back to the
logging window.

Hmm... just a thought how about something that can be typed in the QSO Entry
window for specifically modifying QSOs like : 3=K2KW  where the number is
the serial number of the log line to be modified, and the call is the NEW
call to be changed.  After hitting return, the logging line is cleared, and
you are ready for the next QSO.  Uhh, just realized that this wont work if
duplicate numbers are logged.  But a command like: K2KR=K2KW might work.

GOTO QSO aka CONTROL-G

Once a number is entered in the CALL field and Control-G is hit, that QSO
information should also be entered in the QSO EDIT window just in case this
call needs to be modified.  This could work with implementing the log
editing situation I described above.

After hitting Control-G, the number in the QSO Entry Window should be
cleared (regardless of what is done about opening the QSO EDIT window as
mentioned above).  Currently the number does not clear automatically.  As
above, if a log entry is modified, there should be an option to send the
cursor back to the CALL field in the QSO ENTRY window.

SERIAL NUMBERS (General)

>From a purest standpoint, it would be nice to have properly sequenced serial
numbers in a Multi-op or SO2R application.  But from a log checking
standpoint, having neat serial numbers is currently not an issue as far as I
can tell.  I have talked to a key person at the ARRL, as well as one of the
log-checking software writers, and this does not appear to be an issue.

But there are some general housekeeping things that should be done regarding
serial numbers.  The ability of changing your logs serial numbers (after
they have been logged) is just too easy!  The way serial numbers are
presented/logged/sorted should NOT be user changeable during a contest.
Right now, you can easily mess your serial numbers up by:

EDIT>Renumber marked QSOs
EDIT>Reorder QSOs by time
SETUP>Sort ordering and serial numbers

By changing any of these during the a contest, will most likely mean you
will mess up the serial numbers beyond hope of ever getting them right
again.

Any functions to change the serial numbers should:
A) All be grouped in one area, not in 2 different places as currently
implemented
B) Should be toggled only in the writelog.ini file so they cannot be changed
accidentally during a contest

SERIAL NUMBERS (Sequence Issues)

At least on my network, serial numbers are not "reserved", such that the
other
computer knows to increment the number.  Am I missing something here?

CHECK CALL WINDOW:

When I am contesting, I am very focused on passing Mults and/or QSOs to
other bands/modes.  While the current window incorporates both, I find it
difficult to discern what's needed.  In most
cases I prefer individual fields for: missing calls, or missing mults.  Is
it possible to create windows that are essentially dedicated as "Check Call"
and Check Mult" windows?   I hate to say like CT, but make them like CT.
The MULT information in CT is the best for multi operations and passing
mults and QSOs.  Also, highlighting the background of the line that contains
a QSO would help visualize what's needed or not.

Change any "PHO" designations in the log to "SSB"

In Check Call window (specifically for the 10m contest, I didn't check all
the contests) align band designator (10M) correctly, as well as align CW
and SSB to be right justified.

VIEW NETWORKED FREQUENCIES

The window should always display the frequency of any station on the
network.  At least on my computer marked "Server"  the other networked
station is removed from this window if there is no activity.  (FYI I only
have 2 computers networked right now).  The network info from the "server"
station always remains up on Station B in my network.

LOG WINDOW

For the "M" Field...  Rather than having this field display a "1", it should
display the mult prefix.

NETWORK GAB

There should be a (selectable on/off) audible tone to alert an op that a new
message has been sent.  It's too easy to miss an important message as-is.

DX TELNET PACKET NETWORK

When DX Telnet is interconnected to my 2 computer WL network, when I do a
"SH/DX/50" the spots are not picked up by the network.  They correctly show
in the DX Telnet window, but not in WL.  When NEW spots come in on DX
Telnet, they are propagated through the network.   It also seems that some
spots are not posted to the band map.  Am I missing something here?

LOG SIZE

Are there any issues about the maximum size of the log?  Has anyone logged
5000-10,000 QSOs during a contest?  Does anything start to "break" at that
level?

More to come when I really get into this program :)

Kenny K2KW