[WriteLog] Writelog and Slow down in the Rttyrite-Window

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Writelog and Slow down in the Rttyrite-Window
From: sherrick@ameritech.net (Scot Herrick)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 14:17:22 -0000
Hi Karl,

Most likely this has to do with other programs running along with WriteLog
occupying RAM or checking stuff like serial ports. For example, my system
clock would greatly slow down during a contest when I had all these other
startup programs running.

My suggestion is to turn off as many programs as you can from the Startup
menu. Mine really slowed down with Norton utilities since the program is
designed to constantly monitor system performance. You want to monitor
contest performance, not system performance!

(By the way, I constantly use Norton utilities in my examples because they
effect RAM, system performance and other stuff. This is not a knock on
Norton, all similar programs do this same stuff. I wouldn't own a PC without
Norton utilities on the machine working all the time - except during
contests...).

Doing this gets more stuff out of RAM and available for WriteLog's
processing. I have 64K of RAM (although a faster processor) and at 800 QSO's
on Sunday the only slowdown was when the program auto saved the records
which took a couple of seconds upon hitting enter for the completed QSO.
De-coding was real time.

Hope this helps.

CU...Scot, K9JY

mailto:scot@k9jy.com
www.k9jy.com

I have just finished tne WWDX RTTY with around 315 QSO s I recognized one
thing. At the end the decoded
datas were printed on the rttyrite-window always with a bigger delay.
Sometimes it
was so bad, that I could not answeres any call
because the distant Station was already gone.
Does there exist any solution for this or does it belong on the
hardware....

        Pentium 133 Mhz 64 MB ram

Or does any changes of settings in the INI-file maybe helps.
73 de Karl, DL2FAG
Karl-Heinz Kuehlborn

- DL2FAG -