[WriteLog] Re: Kenwood TS570D

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: Kenwood TS570D
From: jon@royal.net (Jon Harder)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 20:42:11 -0000
Richard and Don --

My 570D(G) is now going on three years old.  I've always noticed that
there's a very noticeable difference between using the stock 2.4 khz filter
on LSB/AFSK with the 300 hz DSP digital audio filter,  and the 500 hz IF
filter in FSK mode.   The skirts and bandwidth seem much tighter on FSK, and
when tuning CW signals in the FSK position to compare with the CW position
at 500 hz, I really can't tell any difference.  I've also tried this using
Spectrogram.  That has always convinced me that the filter is really there
and working as it's supposed to in FSK.   I have also tried fooling the 570
into using the 500hz filter in SSB by telling the menu selection that it's a
1.8 khz.  That works, but my personal preference is always for FSK.

The biggest problem I've had with the 570 isn't the selectivity per se, but
the lack of an AGC off position.  For that reason I tend to favor my 850
with 500 hz filters in both IFs under contest conditions.  There's a fix for
this at the designer's own website,  at http://www11.cds.ne.jp/~cqdx/     if
you're more adventurous than I am at the moment.

Jon     K1US