[WriteLog] Operating PSK with Write Log

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Operating PSK with Write Log
From: af5z@inetport.com (Bob Helms)
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 13:11:45 -0500
Greetings to all.  I'll attempt an explanation of the basics of using
Write Log to operate PSK31 in response to several recent posts.

1.  Run Write Log and choose the contest you wish (or create a
custom exchange).  Size the log screen and QSO entry window so it
covers half or less of your monitor screen.

2.  Click WINDOW on the top menu and the click RTTY window.  Size
and position the RTTY RITE window to use the empty part of your
monitor screen and NOT covering the log/QSO entry areas.

3.  On the RTTY RITE to menu, click MODE and then QPSK USB (or
whatever specific PSK31 mode you wish).  There will be a tuning
indicator window now visible which can be moved to the desired
location on the RTTY RITE window.

4.  Adjust your rig and the center frequencies set in the
software to allow PSK31 reception.  Once you have callsigns on
the screen, they will automatically highlight in bright GREEN.
Click on a highlighted callsign and it will placed in the QSO
ENTRY callsign field for you to make or log the contact.

5.  Now - - I haven't proven this, but I believe Write Log keeps
the mode of each QSO in its files so that a Cabrillo file
submission or other DETAILED printout will show what QSOs are
made in RTTY Vs PSK31.  To save space on the screen and in some
printout formats, some less important fields are not output but
I think you will see all the details in exported and Cabrillo
file formats.  Verify this for yourself before the contest!

Good luck,

Bob Helms, AF5Z
af5z@inetport.com