[WriteLog] RTTY Tuning

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] RTTY Tuning
From: k5iid@hiperline.net (Tom Horton)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 23:38:10 -0500
Reflectorites,
  I am an absolute novice when it comes to RTTY or any of the digital modes,
  so don't be too hard on me for this stupid question(s).

  I did not intend to operate in the contest (WAE-RTTY) this weekend, but was
going to try and familiar with WRITELOG and how to use it in a RTTY  contest.

Well, I got most everything going, but I am having  a terrible time trying
to tune in
signals with the built in "RTTY Receiver". I was under the impression from
reading
the info on the Website that when a signal was properly tuned in you would
get a
cross on the screen....the best I can get is two ellipses (sp?) that never
totally square up.
It seems VERY hard to get a signal tuned in so that it is printable on the
screen.
I see th esignal on the scope screen in green, but stronger than these
signals are the grey
traces that I assume is noise....is it?

  What are the two small boxes to the right of the AFC check box...I find
no mention
of them in th emanual or on the Website....

What am I doing wrong?

TIA, 73 Tom K5IID