[WriteLog] RE: WriteLog Digest V3 #338

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] RE: WriteLog Digest V3 #338
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 02:07:36 -0500
Gino,

Are you able to get Writelog rig control on the ICOMs without using the
W5XD+ keyer? In other words, if you plug com1  directly into one of the
rigs, does the polling work? If not, the parameters in the Ports menu may
not be not correct, or there's a cable problem. Make sure that the correct
rig is selected for com1, and try using Auto for the baud rate. Also make
sure the "Poll" box is checked. If that doesn't work, click the big button
to the left of the entry window. Make sure that the pull-down menu is set to
"Rig on COMM1".

If it still doesn't work, there could be a cable incompatibility -- the Icom
may want to see one of the RS232 signals such as CTS, RTS, DTR, DSR, CD,
etc. Can anyone on the reflector with an Icom 756 shed any light on that? Is
a special cable needed for Writelog to run the 756?

If you can get Writelog to talk to the rig directly, then connect it to the
W5XD+ keyer without powering up the keyer. It should still work. If not, you
may have a bad connector or a bad trace to it on the PCB. If rig polling
works through the card without power, then power up the keyer. In the
Setup...Ports menu, make sure the "CW" button is selected on com1, and make
sure "W5XD multi+" (not "W5XD keyer") is selected as the keyer type. When
you first start Writelog, you may have to select the entry window with the
mouse to get the keyer to activate. If you don't get CW, make sure that the
rig polling is working -- it won't send CW unless the big button to the left
of the entry window says "CW".

Hope this helps.

73, Dick WC1M