[WriteLog] WriteLog upgrade policy- upDATES or upGRADES?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] WriteLog upgrade policy- upDATES or upGRADES?
From: rbdrake@erols.com (Richard B Drake)
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 21:45:22 -0500
Well, I am probably going to start a flame session here but we all
know by now that Microsoft (and all others) provides about 1 year
of bug fix updates. They fix only the most glaring of the errors.
Then they come out with a new version which is largely more bug
fixes and a few enhancements thrown in to make you think you are
getting something for your money.

As a retired professional programmer I have to tell you that it
was common practice for us to get a client to pay for software
development. However, we always retained ownership of the software
which we were then perfectly free to sell to someone else and
indeed we did. I.E. You get Peter to pay for it and then you sell
it to Paul. It's amazing that people put up with that but every
company I worked for did that, and most clients bought it!!

The point is, there is nothing unusual going on here and you don't
have to buy it.

---
73, Rich - W3ZJ