[WriteLog] regarding adding a PC on an existing network...

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] regarding adding a PC on an existing network...
From: mravitz@ix.netcom.com (Mitch Ravitz)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 22:34:57 -0500
Try these...

1.  Under Identification (right click on Network Neighborhood and then
choose Properties) are all the PCs in the same workgroup?  This is the
most basic error.

2.  Are all of the PCs using the same protocols?  TCP/IP or NETBEUI or
IPX/SPX?  It is easiest to have all the PCs see each other if all of
them are using the same protocol stack.

As an aside: Network Neighborhood is a NETBIOS application, life will be
easier if NETBEUI is an available protocol on the new PC.

3. If you are using TCP/IP then each PC should be in the same Subnet and
the subnet mask should be the same.  This means that only the last 3
digits of the TCP/IP address are changed (192.168.1.xxx) and the
appropriate subnet mask would be 255.255.255.0

Also, the numbers 0 and 255 are forbidden addresses in the last 3 digits
of a TCP/IP address (where the xxx's are above).

Finally, are the cables in good shape?

Is your HUB (or Network Switch) a dual speed unit?  It is likely that
your new PC has a 100 baseT card.  These are usually dual speed as well
and would detect a 10 baseT network if your other PCs are at the slower
speed.  You can make it default to 10baseT in the Network Neighborhood
Properties settings.

Right Click on Network Neighborhood and go to Properties.  In the
CONFIGURATION box select the Network Interface Card identification and
then click on Properties.  In the new box that appears select the
ADVANCED tab.  Highlight LINK SPEED and the box to it's right will allow
you to select the slower default speed settings.

Good Luck

Mitch
W1GI

 >Hi All,
 >
 >I have a problem. Trying to set up all computers on a peer-to-peer
 >network.
 >All 3 older machines see each other, but new, high horsepower machine
only has PCI slots. After installing PCI network card, new machine sees
itself on network, but no other computers. Other machines do not see new
one. I cannot see any provision for setting IRQ or memory range. What am
I doing wrong?