[WriteLog] More Suggestions

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] More Suggestions
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 02:08:55 -0500
More ideas for improvement:

1. I try to work all dupes (better chance for lower UBNs.) Therefore, my
exchange function key contains "%C <exchange>" (no %B%B string.) When I hit
INSERT to work a dupe, Writelog stops after the callsign is sent and does
not send the exchange. This means I have to wake up, realize what's going
on, and reach over to hit the exchange function key manually. Since I work
75-100 dupes in a big contest, this is a real pain. Writelog sends the
exchange for a dupe only if I space or tab after entering the callsign and
before hitting INSERT. This is not desirable because I don't usually move
the cursor out of the callsign field until the other station responds. I
can't think of any reason why someone would want Writelog to work this way.
Also, this doesn't seem to be what the help file says will happen for the
Special Case: "Any characters following the %C in the memory are held until
you tab or space out of the CALL field, or until the message being sent
catches up to your typing, or if you stop typing for more than 1 second.
WriteLog doesn't do any of these things -- it just stops. Resuming after one
second would probably be OK, but it doesn't do that (even if you continue to
enter characters in the callsign and stop typing.)

2. I discovered that double clicking on a call in the SCP window puts the
callsign in the Entry window and fills the Check Country window. Neat! A
much more useful feature would be the ability to click on a field in one of
the QSO lines in the Check Country window and have the cursor jump to
editing that field in the corresponding QSO in the log. I often see errors
in previous QSOs that show up in the Check Country window, and this would be
a quick way to correct them. Otherwise, I have to type the seq number in the
Entry field and type CTRL-G.

73, Dick WC1M