[WriteLog] Windows 2000 adviseability

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Windows 2000 adviseability
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 19:16:29 -0600
Hi Bill -

Why do you want to upgrade? Is there something specific that Win2K gives
you that you can't get in Windows 98? Win98 is a fine operating system for
the home user; Windows 2000 is really meant more for corporate users on a
network, and that's where the new features really come out.

Unless you are in dire need of some new feature of Windows 2000, I would
advise that you *not* upgrade. For a casual home user, you won't find any
significant benefit that I'm aware of.

I'm a professional Windows programmer and still run Win98 on my home
machines, with no plans to migrate to Windows 2000 or Windows ME. I use
Windows 2000 at work and it does just fine; I've used WriteLog on a Windows
2000 machine (laptop, with rig control on the serial ports and using the
soundcard DVK) with no problems. But there's still not a compelling reason
for me to upgrade my machines at home since they work just fine the way
they are.

Basically what I'm saying is, don't upgrade just because it seems like the
thing to do or just because it seems like a "newer" operating system. If
you don't know *why* you need to upgrade, then its likely that you probably
don't need to. But if you know of a good reason, then go for it!

73,

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobox.com