[WriteLog] CROSSHAIRS???

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] CROSSHAIRS???
From: k8vt@ameritech.net (Carter Grabarczyk)
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 19:22:27 -0400

"Ron Stone, Vine Antennas" wrote:

> In message <3AC85391.77E8D942@gwi.net>, benson <benson@gwi.net> writes
> >
> >WHAT IN THE WORLD IS EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT (CROSSHAIR TUNING)??? IS
> >THIS THE CROSSED BANANAS OR HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING COMPLETELY?
> >TNX,
> >DON-WN1OTV
> >
> Don
>
> On some of the sample screens (Writelog official site) it shows a
> "crosshairs" tuning screen - like one would have on a target scope. The
> crossed bananas is a different thing.

No, this is not true. The "crosshairs" or "crossed bananas", which
basically emulates using an oscilloscope for a tuning indicator, are the
same thing (and no, we are not talking about spectrum or waterfall
displays). It's just that in the good old days, the toroid filters
weren't all that sharp and the crossed lines (mark on horiz scope input
and space on vert input) ended up looking like bananas (ellipses) rather
than sharp lines.

> I'm after the crossed hairs one
> (you will get it if you run "Tuning Indicator and Audio Snapshot" from
> your Writelog directory), but can't get it on-screen with RttyRite
> active. That's what it is all about.

> ***I have got nobody to come up with
> the answer yet, by the way!***

Maybe I'm hallucinating, but I thought that Wayne himself answered you.
I believe the gist of his response was that if you have the sound card
in use decoding rtty, you cannot simultaneously use the scope emulation
(for lack of a better term) mode. If, on the other hand, you turn on the
scope emulator first, you can NOT use the sound card to decode rtty...

73/Carter/K8VT