[WriteLog] Writelog and Dell's AC '97 codec

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Writelog and Dell's AC '97 codec
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:38:05 -0500
One item that's not tracked on in your results is the operating system,
which will play a role in how many sound cards perform - the drivers of
course have to be written to make use of the various features of the sound
card, and I know from experience that the score you get from a sound card
under one OS sometimes changes when you switch to another.

I've got an old Yamaha DS-XG type card in one desktop system (card was a
hamfest special, $3, bought it because it's PCI) - under Win98 I got a
score of something like 70 or 75, unfortunately I don't remember which.
Then I upgraded to Win2000 and got a score of 77 (which, BTW, isn't a 7f as
reported by K5DJ on your site for what I think is the same card).

Likewise on my Dell Inspiron 4000, the score changed slightly when I went
from Win98 to Win2k on the ESS Maestro-3i (and it's only 77 now, so beware
when considering purchase of an Inspiron as all the current models use the
Maestro-3i)

In both cases, the  drivers for Win2k were obviously newer than the
previous ones, and apparently supported more of the features WriteLog needs.

73,

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobox.com