[WriteLog] Uniques in CQWW and CQ/RJ WPX RTTY Contests

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Uniques in CQWW and CQ/RJ WPX RTTY Contests
From: frenaye@pcnet.com (Tom Frenaye)
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 23:19:46 -0400
On June 21st there was a message from: "Eddie Schneider" <edlyn@california.com>
posted on the Writelog reflector with text from Glenn Vinson, W6OTC, the
Contest Director (of both contests I assume) regarding the handling of uniques
in the CQWW and CQ/RJ WPX RTTY contests.

In the middle of his detailed message was a paragraph that said:

>> Where a unique is also a bad call, all seem to agree that it ought to be
>> excluded from a score.  Examples include calls that are not legal or that do
>> not
>> in fact exist.  For some contesters, this is as far as the inquiry ought to
>> go,
>> meaning that unless a unique is also classified as "bad", it should have no
>> impact on the score.  Some, including the ARRL, are prepared to go even
>> farther
>> and to allow a "bad" call to be counted so long as it is inaccurate by only
>> one
>> character (as determined by comparison to a callsign database) in the logged
>> callsign.  I fail to see the logic in this policy.  Is it sufficient to say
>> that, "This contact should count because I almost copied the call correctly"?

A quick look suggests no one corrected the incorrect information above.  There
is nothing in the checking of any ARRL contest that allows a bad callsign to be
counted if it is off by one character.   If you get the call wrong the contact
is not allowed.  Period.

A personal comment: As for the discussion over uniques, I find it hard to
understand why a valid QSO would not be allowed by the checking process.  If
the callsign is wrong, toss it out.   If QSO didn't happen, confirm it by
getting a log extract from the other station.  Don't penalize someone in the
contest for working a station that didn't make enough QSOs to show up multiple
times in other logs.  I'm especially critical that uniques are not allowed when
there is nothing in the rules indicating that's what happens in the log
checking.

Sorry not to have commented on the ARRL log checking issue earlier, someone
just brought it to my attention a few days ago - I'm not a regular subscriber
to the Writelog reflector.

                        73 Tom

=====
e-mail: k1ki@arrl.org   ARRL New England Division Director  http://www.arrl.org/
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box J, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444