[WriteLog] New version/update release process

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] New version/update release process
From: w5xd@writelog.com (W. Wright, W5XD)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:32:01 -0000
I am sorry about the confusion. We have been using the same process for
several years now, but I forget that not everyone is familiar with it.

As we add new features to the program, updates are distributed first to our
beta testers and are not made available to everyone. By and large unless you
are a beta tester, you do not want these "in between" updates. They have
likely not been tested at all, and you don't know what the risk items are in
them because only beta testers get that information. Sometimes features we
thought we were going to add don't make it through beta test, so get deleted
in later beta tests.

We put a letter designation on each beta test distribution, so you can guess
that 10.26B was the second beta of what everyone saw as 10.26. Your guess
might be correct. But it might not be, and we don't make any promises about
what those letters mean.

We understand that lots of customers would like to know what we're working
on. So when a feature has been in beta test long enough to make us confident
that it will indeed make it to the next public update, we publish the update
information at http://www.writelog.com/rev_history.htm. The benefit to us is
that when you see a feature in that list, you need not ask for it anymore.

The question of the day is "where is 10.27?" The answer is that it is in
beta test. I can't say when it will finish that process. We don't pay those
guys very well, so we don't have much control over how they prioritize this
work. But they have a pretty good track record of eventually working through
the testing and, when they do, we'll publish the update for everyone.

Wayne, W5XD