[WriteLog] how do you handle scoring when you work a dupe?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] how do you handle scoring when you work a dupe?
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 20:14:48 -0500
At 07:10 PM 8/7/2001 , FireBrick wrote:
>I agree that it's simpler to work a dupe than to discuss when and where.
>
>But how do you handle the scoring problem it creates.

You shouldn't need to worry about it -- let the logging program deal with
the dupes.  It doesn't create a scoring problem, it creates a log checking
"problem" -- but even that's not much of a problem.

The dupes will be included in your Cabrillo file when you create it (take a
look at the Cabrillo log sometime if you haven't -- they're in there), and
the log checkers will (or at least should) figure out which of the two
contacts is the dupe and which isn't when they compare your log and the
other station's log. W

Better to work the dupe and have him twice in your log than to have a
busted QSO and not only lose credit for that one but also a few others
(depending on the contest rules, etc.)

Depending on the mode and the logging software you use (presumably
WriteLog!), it's sometimes easier to tell the dupe "we worked at 14:30Z" --
you'll get the information you need when you enter the call and the logging
software alerts you that it's a dupe. WriteLog gives the band and time of
the previous QSO. On phone, I'll often tell the dupe when we worked before
and ask them to verify they have my callsign entered correctly (you
wouldn't believe how often it gets logged as N0WL). On RTTY, I find that
it's easier to just work them and keep right on going. I can't even spell
CW, so don't ask me about that "mode"...

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobox.com