[WriteLog] Auto CQ doesn't STOP

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Auto CQ doesn't STOP
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 18:31:17 -0500
I agree that clicking on a callsign in the RTTYrite window to stop Auto-CQ
would be a nice feature... but I'm not sure how it would help.

If you had your Auto-CQ set for long intervals between CQ's then it would
be fine for clicking on callsigns to stop the Auto-CQ function.  However, it
most cases, by the time a callsign actually prints, the Auto-CQ will have
already keyed the transmitter to start the next CQ and you will miss out on
the callsign of the station(s) calling you.  This is not good.

I've used Auto-CQ in both CW and RTTY modes within WriteLog and in
CW you usually get the first character of a callsign typed to stop the Auto-CQ
with no problem.  In RTTY, you have to wait for lots of things.  Many stations
still send your call before they send their call.  There are C/R L/F characters,
Number and Letter shift characters and all kinds of time consuming things
going on before you actually get a printed callsign on the screen.  In some
cases you don't even get a callsign, especially on weak signals.  It's best to
stop the Auto-CQ function as soon as you hear any kind of activity on the
frequency.

The BEST way to stop AUTO-CQ is ESC.  If you are a right hand mouse
user, then your left hand is free to hit ESC.  ESC is on the left hand side of
the keyboard away from all other keys.  Most of us can hit it with our eyes
closed.

If Wayne wants to add it that's great.

73, Don AA5AU