[WriteLog] MP connection?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] MP connection?
From: jjreisert@alum.mit.edu (Jim Reisert)
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 07:49:03 -0700 (PDT)
SIIG cards are in the $65 range at CompUSA for PCI to 2xSerial port.  That's
more than comparable ISA cards used to be, but I wouldn't consider that
outrageous (unless they're over $100).

Consider whether you can get by with just 2 COM ports.  I used to have 4, but
since installing an Ethernet card, I am now able to get spots off an Internet
cluster, as well as keep my PC clock synchronized to an Internet time server.
One COM port goes to the radio, the other is the [A]FSK interface between the
radio and the PC.

Your PC may not have any ISA slots (the newer ones almost certainly don't), but
even if it did, it's much easier to deal with PCI than ISA and not have to
worry about ISA interrupt allocation.  Believe me, you WILL run out of
interrupts, it's just a fact of life.

- Jim

=====
USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com