[WriteLog] Is My ICOM CT-17 Kaput

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Is My ICOM CT-17 Kaput
From: flgrossman@earthlink.net (Frank Grossman (WB2BXO))
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 17:55:39 -0400
Started up DX4WIN this afternoon, attempted to "listen" to a  packet spot,
and the following happened:

--Radio failed to move to the spot frequency,
--Got "Radio timeout" message about 30 seconds later,
--Clicked "ok" to timeout message, and got "An exception occurred.  Access
violation at address 005FE0EE80 in module DX4WIN.EXE,  Read of address
FFFFFFFF.  (That's 8 F's).  :-)

Tried Writelog to eliminate software as the culprit, and simply got a "No
Radio!" message.

My best guess so far is that the CT-17, which has worked flawlessly for
years, has been fried by a lightening strike.  The strike did no other
damage in the shack other than trip a breaker my the 20 amp. line used by my
SB-220.   (got some TV's in other apartments, though!)

I'll swap "com" ports after dinner to make sure the com port wasn't fried,
rather than the CT-17.

Are there any other likely culprits, or do I collect on my ARRL insurance
for the CT-17?  (Assuming lightening strikes are covered!)  :-)

73,
Frank
wb2bxo@arrl.net