[WriteLog] Re: Toshiba Satellite 440CDT

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: Toshiba Satellite 440CDT
From: young@young.lkg.dec.com (Paul Young)
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 09:07:45 -0400
> I've just picked up a very cheap Toshiba Satellite 440CDT - P133 with 32M
> Ram.
>
> What's my chances of getting WriteLog to run on it??

I think your changes are very good.

I have operated contests using a Pentium 120 notebook with 48 Meg of RAM
running Windows 98.  Audio recording was running full-time.

There were some CW stuttering problems but I cleaned them up by turning
off unnecessary features, particularly power-saving.

I also ran RTTY using AFSK, with the computer doing the decoding.  I
did not try this with audio recording running.

One thing which did not work was CW copying.  The computer would pretty
much lock up when I tried it.  I discussed this with Wayne, and we
concluded that my notebook just didn't have the CPU power to do this.
Since I have a better CW decoder built-in this wasn't an issue for me.

This was the station computer on the H44MX/H44YL DXpedition.  The only
problem I remember was that it took a few seconds to save the log when
I had more than about 2,000 QSOs in it.  I just had to save when nobody
was calling me.

The computer was very badly damaged on the P29VPY/P29VCR trip and has
been replaced with a Pentium 133 MMX with about 100 Meg of RAM.  My
testing shows that it can handle CW and audio recording without
disabling anything.

We plan to use it for the upcoming 5H1X/5H1F operation in November.
If you want to hear how it sounds, please work me from 5H1X on all
bands in the CQ WW CW contest [unabashed plug].

The only concern I would have with your P133 is the amount of memory.
If WriteLog does not run well you may need to look at increasing it
or shutting down all unnecessary processes.

                            Paul, K1XM / 5H1X