[WriteLog] SIIG PCI 4 port serial card

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] SIIG PCI 4 port serial card
From: rthorne@tcac.net (Richard Thorne)
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:05:38 -0500
Hello Group:

Just an fyi. I just received a SIIG Quartet Serial 550 PCI card from CDW
today.  Installation was a breeze.  I now have 6 com ports, 2 on the
mother board and 4 more from the newly installed card.  The only issue
is that my on board com 2 is being called com5 per windows.  No big deal
as long as it works.  I'm guessing that when I installed the new card I
had a modem installed which was claiming com 2.  I deinstalled the modem
(I don't need it since I get to the internet via the lan) and went to
the bios to enable com2.  When I brought up the machine it labeled it
com5 since the SIIG card had already claimed com2.

Anyways, I plan on hooking up my 1000mp to each comport to be sure it
works.  I'll report back.

The nice thing (assuming the card works) is that the card cost me $89.83
plus $5.49 for shipping.  Pretty cheap solution for 4 more comports.

The big plan for all of these comports is to remote control my 1000mp
here at the office so I can operate from home with the rig and antennas
at the office.

Richard Thorne
ARS: N5ZC
Amarillo, TX