[[WriteLog] Writelog for non-contest logging?]

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [[WriteLog] Writelog for non-contest logging?]
From: ac5aa@usa.net (Duane Calvin)
Date: 14 Oct 2001 18:00:31 CDT
Its strength is its weakness - it is a super contesting program.  It is only a
fair overall logging program.  I highly recommend DX4WIN.  I've tried and
owned a number of the logging programs, and I've not found one that works as
well as DX4WIN. If you're at all into chasing DXCC, or other awards, DX4WIN is
great.  It color-codes spots to indicate new country, new band, new mode,
whatever.  There is a de-functioned demo on the web site: www.dx4win.com
which will give you some idea of how it works.  But, logging software is very
different to different people.  So, shop around and see what's out there.
There are a number of options.

   73,  Duane    AC5AA

W0AH@aol.com wrote:

>       MIME Type:?multipart/alternative
I've used Writelog on SSB using my computer soundboard as the audio keyer, on

CW with keying from serial and parallel ports, on RTTY using the soundboard,
and on PSK.  I've been  very happy with it in the contests I've operated from

home and from Mexico.  My one attempt to hook the laptop computer and
Writelog up to my FT-1000 for frequency readout was unsuccessful.  Have
others had luck with this?  I have not used the bandmap function or used the
packet cluster or DX Summit spoting ability that I think Writelog has. The
main purpose of this post is to ask about using Writelog as a general logging

program.  What are its strengths and weaknesses.  If I get the FT-1000 hooked

up properly for frequency readout, hook up packet cluster DX spots or DX
Summit and use the bandmap, is it possible to do what I witnessed yesterday
at N0TM's place, have a computer monitor run color coded spots indicating new

countries and new band countries?  He was using adefferent program.In pasy
years I used an old WJ2O general logging program, but I don't think WJ2O
supports it any more?   If any of you are familair with it, how might it
compare to WQritelog's general` logging ability?
Doug  W0AH  Woodland Park CO

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1