[WriteLog] Post-contest comments

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Post-contest comments
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 19:46:12 -0600
At 06:17 PM 10/28/2001 , Barry N1EU wrote:
>1.  Soundcard keying just quit on me suddenly ...  Does anybody else
>experience this?  (BTW, I'm also running DXTelnet)

No problems here.

>2.  Speaking of which, because it's not all that unusual to have to exit
>and restart WriteLog it would sure be nice to have the option of
>saving/restoring Packet spots, which are currently lost as soon as you
>exit the program.  Trying to refill the packet spot window with the 30
>minutes of good spot collecting that you just lost is otherwise
>impossible, sh/dx not withstanding.  This option would obviously only be
>used with immediate restarting (due to program glitch), and not if you
>went QRT for any length of time.  I can't overstate the need for this in
>light of the fact that the soundcard functionality gets lost intermittently.

You can do better than sh/dx -- do sh/dx/100  to get the last 100 spots (or
200 or whatever.)  When you restart WriteLog, you're going to have to
re-establish your connection to the cluster (maybe the DXTelnet interface
doesn't require that) - so issuing one more command is not a big deal.

BTW - I don't think a 30 minute old spot is of much value, especially in a
contest like CQWW - other than the really big guns (whom you've probably
already worked), it doesn't seem that anyone sits on a frequency for
anywhere close to 30 minutes.

>3.  Seems like a no brainer, but why aren't country and zone mults (color)
>coded differently in the bandmap and packet spot window, with double mults
>obviously marked?  If nothing else, it would be nice to see double mults
>stand out.

Seems like a good idea! An obvious reason it's not done is that it would
place significantly higher load on the CPU every time a spot shows up, and
there are lots of people running marginal systems (and to me, anything less
than a Pentium II 350 is "marginal" for efficient use of WriteLog. You can
purchase a perfectly adequate system to use with WriteLog for $200 to $300
- see places like www.retrobox.com and www.computersurplusoutlet.com.)

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobx.com