[WriteLog] More re XP Upgrade Issues

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] More re XP Upgrade Issues
From: jon@praxisworks.org (Jon Harder)
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 02:36:08 -0000
Thanks for your comments, Steve.

Had no intention to start a long thread, but to alert others that there
could be unseen issues that need attention.  As I just wrote to the list in
response to Duane, I think my problems may have been unique to
non-motherboard ISA add-in ports, as I noted.  If they had all been PCI PnP
add-ins like the SIIG, they'd probably have been just fine.  My hardware
wasn't listed in the on-line compatibility list, and I didn't expect an easy
upgrade.

These ISA cards with IO ports _are_ quite old with 8250 UARTS, and
definitely not PnP.  They were installed as Legacy Devices in an updated
Award BIOS setup utility, each with its own IRQ and port number.  Never had
any problem with them until now, but Win 98 is likely  the end of the line
for them.

The SIIG PCI card ports share a single IRQ, and the updated driver for them
is no problem to install, as noted earlier.

> Nothing wrong with that computer hardware...

That's what I thought, but was just surprised to stumble over the serial
ports as a problem.  Most of the discussion here earlier was about LPTs and
XP.    I'm all for advancing the state of the art and of OSs, but in
something of what was once called the "ham spirit"  I'd like to do it with
minimal cash outlay!

73,  Jon