[WriteLog] W5XD/K5DJ Multi-Keyer stops

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] W5XD/K5DJ Multi-Keyer stops
From: jpixton@shentel.net (Jerry Pixton)
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 12:55:01 +0000
Dick,

I am using the W5XD keyer right now on a single radio on the Left and a
Band Decoder driven from the Left Parellel port. My radio, FT1000mp, is Rig
controlled with serial port into keyer and serial port out of keyer.

When I first set up the keyer, I saw signs that Right port was working but
not Left.

When I followed the sequence of telling Writelog that I had a keyer. Then
setting number of radios to 1, telling "This is Radio Left" and THEN
"Activate this radio" my keyer came alive and the band decoder worked. You
may already be doing all this. The help file indicates that "Activate this
radio" is a manual command to switch sides.

Hope this helps.

Jerry, W6IHG

At 07:02 AM 11/6/2001 -0800, Dick Dievendorff wrote:

>I understand that with a single radio you must choose Left or Right.  I
>chose Left.  It didn't work.  When I chose Right things work fine.  I don't
>understand why Left didn't work.  The problem could be that the Multi-Keyer
>with Writelog never works for anyone as a single radio connected as the Left
>rig.  I really hope that's the case, and it's something that will eventually
>be changed in a future Writelog software version.  I looked for e-mail that
>had that sort of problem and eventually found some that hinted at this.  Or
>the problem could be that it's supposed to work in single-radio mode as
>either Left or Right.  If that's the case, then maybe my MultiKeyer won't
>work as a 2-radio multikeyer.  I know other people have had success with
>their multikeyers in SO2R setups.  I believe that most multikeyers work
>fine. I'm worried only about mine, not all of them.
>
>My question then becomes do most people succeed in single radio mode with
>Radio Left? And if it's widely known that you must always hook up a single
>radio as radio right, shouldn't that information be widely known?  I looked
>for this sort of information through the help screens and web pages about
>the Multi-Keyer and didn't find any mention of "single radio, use radio
>right".  Therefore I conclude that this constraint is perhaps only on MY
>multikeyer (and perhaps only with Writelog 10.28C), and maybe it'll show up
>when I try to use Radio Left for something useful.

Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
jpixton@shentel.net