[WriteLog] Multiple Sound Cards and W2K

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Multiple Sound Cards and W2K
From: Ric Plummer" <ricp@alum.wpi.edu (Ric Plummer)
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 20:00:01 -0000
Something is definitely strange with W2K and multiple sound cards.
Let me explain what I run here on three stations:

Station 1: SB0 is a Creative Ensoniq, CT4810, and is the radio one
                SB1 is a Creative PCI SB16, CT4740, and is the Windows and
Audio review
                All works great on this station
                OS is W2K SP2

Station 2: SB0 is a Creative Ensoniq, CT4810, and works fine with radio
                Couldn't get a second SB to function properly.
                Had to upgrade drivers to get the mic boost to work with
Heil mic.
                OS is W2K SP2.
                When upgrading drivers got OS to the point that required HD
format and reload of all SW.
                This was painful as it was Thurs late PM before CQWW SSB.

Station 3: SB0 is a CompUSA private label with ALS4000 chip set. It is
Windows, Audio Review
                SB1 is a Creative Ensoniq, CT4810, works fine, but had to
upgrade drivers for mic boost.
                OS is W2K SP2.

So, my conclusion is: When you get things up finally, all is well and works
fine, and glad to have the two. BUT, there is a uncharacterized gremlin here
that is yet to be defined. BTW, when Mic Boost didn't give enough level to
record properly, the mic boost was functioning, that is there was a level
difference with it on or off, but just never enough to get the job done.
Upgrade the drivers and plenty with boost on.
Drivers were identical to those in the Station 1 system that has always
worked.
I have never had a problem with WL
controlling the second sound card. They are set to Index 1 in both cases.
And Audio Review is set to Index 0.

Go figure.
I offer this as just one more experience for those that may benefit

Ric KV1W