[WriteLog] PK-232 WL & RITTY

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] PK-232 WL & RITTY
From: jflanders2@home.com (Jerry Flanders)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:02:51 -0500
The PK232 will also work on CW, will also keep on working LONG after the
MMTTY has frozen up, and provides an easy way to interface a classic ST-6
front end into your system.

I wouldn't bother with any add-ons from Timewave unless you want to use
some special mode your unit doesn't support. If you want the best
performance the PK232 can give you on 45 baud RTTY, keep your eye out for
an old 45-baud optimized ST-6 and read up on how to add it to the "front
end" of the PK232. It will probably cost much less than any enhancement you
get from Timewave.

I am impressed with MMTTY, and have started using it. I thought I would
toss my PK232/ST6 combination here, but now, after a few freezeups with
MMTTY, I realize that I need to keep my PK232  on-line in a configuration
similar to what Don (aa5au) describes as a "dual-receive" configuration on
his web page. The PK232 will require it's own serial port. I know from past
experience there are times when MMTTY will outperform it, but other times
when MMTTY will not do as well.

No matter what software TNC you use, if you have the extra serial port, an
inexpensive PK232/ST6 can help you at times.

Jerry W4UK