[WriteLog] Getting Started

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Getting Started
From: zf2nt@candw.ky (Bruce B. Sawyer)
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 15:33:17 -0500
Apologies for what I know are very dumb questions, but I can't seem to get
off the ground here.

I finally gave up on WF1B and ordered Writelog...downloaded it this morning,
and have been trying to get it to do something.  So far, the only thing I
can get it to do is talk to the frequency control on my rig.  I tried the CW
portion, but the best I can figure out is that you cannot use a LPT port for
CW under Windows ME.  Is that right?  Naturally, the only cable I have for
CW is wired for an LPT port, so I guess I'll stick to TR for the time being
when it comes to CW.

So then I tried to get into RTTY.  Nothing doing; I cannot get writelog to
talk to my TNC.  The TNC is a Kam+ connected to COM1.  For a while, every
time I tried to select COM1, Writelog gave me a "COM port not available"
message.  I did go into writelog.ini and set the port entry to:
COM1:=1200,n,8,1
There used to be a ",x" at the end of this line, but I deleted it.  Thus the
entry now looks exactly like the entry in the tutorial.  Anyway, somehow
during the course of my fiddling I got Writelog into a new mode.  Now when I
try to tell it COM1, I get a message "Initializing Host Mode...Please Wait."
After a few seconds, RTTYwrite sez "Rttywrite failed to put KAM in host
mode.  Please turn the KAM power off, then back on."  I did that, and then I
Writelog (or RTTYwrite) is just NOT going to talk to that TNC.

As I said, the only thing going right so far is that Writelog is able to
talk to my FT1000MP just fine through COM2.  So how do I get it to talk to a
KAM through COM1?

Again, apologies for the bandwidth for really dumb questions.  The first
time I ever saw Writelog in my life was about two hours ago.

Bruce, ZF2NT