[WriteLog] 10.69 Fixed the LPT Pin 16 Problem

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] 10.69 Fixed the LPT Pin 16 Problem
From: k8cc@mediaone.net (k8cc)
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 20:40:39 -0500
Mario,

I think there is more to this story.  This is purely my opinion after
twelve years writing code and messing with the LPT port.

I always assumed that K1EA used pin 1 (strobe) for the emitter of the
keying transistor because the state of pin 17 (CW out) is unknown when the
computer is started.  I'm not sure if this is a random condition or a BIOS
issue, but on many computers pin 17 is high when booted which causes a CW
radio to go key down (very annoying).  By keeping pin 1 unasserted, the
logging program can prevent keying until the pin 17 is low.  Indeed, if I
recall correctly early versions of CT keyed only pin 1.

Some years later, N6TR introduces PTT control on pin 16.  This pin has the
same problem as pin 17 - an undetermined state at startup.  To prevent
unintentional PTT assertion at bootup, an duplicate  of the CW keying
circuit was used.  However, since pin 1 has to be shared now, it can't be
keyed for CW so positive keying on pin 17 is introduced.

I've always been concerned about the current handling capacity of the
circuit connected to pin 1.  This was designed as a ~STROBE signal to a
printer, now we hang CW keying circuits and PTT on it.  The CW line is
almost certainly low current, but who knows about PTT?  You never know -
with certain radio types that line might directly pull in a relay coil.

In most of my CW interfaces now I've added a CMOS logic IC to allow pin 1
to inhibit the CW keying and PTT in the signal path.  The output devices
interfacing to the radio can sink directly to ground without the currents
going into the LPT port.  One added advantage is that the key-down
saturation voltage is lower, thus ensuring full power out on CW.  (Don't
laugh - I tried to use a Darlington output optocoupler to key/PTT one of my
radios and it would not work!).

BTW, CW out has always been pin 17, not 16.  Pin 16 is PTT.  This is the
way NA has been for years and I've just been copying everybody.  I just
checked this against a reasonably recent TRLog manual.

Not to embarrass anyone, but you can't count on WX0B to get the pins
right.  He got his NA pinouts second hand and they were incorrect (Jay told
me this).

Jeez...I thought we had all settled on a standard :-(

73,

Dave/K8CC