[WriteLog] Software Memory Leak

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Software Memory Leak
From: windev@inetmarket.com (Gerry Hull)
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 08:46:11 -0500
Hey Rick and Writelog folks,

Since I was the guy who started this memory leak thread, let's bring it
back into the Writelog domain, so that users can relate to the (not yet
clarified) issue.  So, bear with me for a minute and i'll tie this all
together for us Writelog users.

Yes, all the modern Windows operating systems are virtual memory, which
means, essentially, they won't run out of memory in normal circumstances.
However, due to a fact of history and Windows design goals, there are
multiple types of memory used by the Operating System in Windows
95/98/ME which are NOT virtual memory.  They important ones here are User
and GDI, and are used for window management and graphics (GDI stands for
Graphic
Device Interface).  User/GDI in Windows 95/98/ME is limited to 64K each,
even if you have a Gigabyte of memory in your machine with a 100GB hard
disk.  Applications like Writelog talk to the Windows operating system
to "do their thing."  There are rules about how you talk to Windows, and
if not done properly, things like a memory leak can occur.  Under
Windows NT/2000/XP, User/GDI is not limited to 64K.

BTW, you can actually monitor the memory usage in your Windows 98/95/ME
box by running the System Monitor application, which can be found under
Accessories->System Tools.  If it is not found, it is in the Resource
Kit for each operating system.  It will show the available memory all
the time.

It gets a bit murky with complex applications like Writelog, becuase
there are actually many layers of software between the application and
Operating System.  So, a bug of this sort may not be in the actual
applications software.  Often, the developer has to work around bugs
in "middleware" or the Operating System itself.

Now, to the original issue at hand.  During CQWW CW at VE1JF (M/S) and
during the ARRL 10 Meter contest @ my QTH, the Windows 98 machines
I used would become very slugish after about 10-12 hours of operation.
New windows could not be opened, and painting (drawing of
windows) became very slow.  Also, the fonts on windows changed to a
different font.  This is a telltale sign of an out-of-memory condition
in Win 95/98/ME.  By simply closing Writelog and reopening, the problem
goes away.  But, if your running at +200 hour, who wants to shut down
and restart.  If the problem goes away by shutting down and restarting,
it's a pretty good bet that the "problem" is Writelog related.  These
are very hard problems to fix, because the "bug" could be a simple leak
of a byte or two, but, called 10s of 1000s of times by a program, causes
major issues.

My point in the thread was to try and characterize what configuration
causes the issue, and help Wayne track it down.  Is this a ShowStopper
bug?  Naw, just an inconvenience.

73,

Gerry, W1VE/VE1RM