[WriteLog] upgrade to a dual monitor video card

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] upgrade to a dual monitor video card
From: Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net (Phil Cooper)
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 22:14:33 -0000
Hi all,

I'm new to the list (being a new user of WL), but I have two monitors on my
shack PC, both of which run from PCI cards. The shack PC is a P200MMX with
64MB RAM, 3.5GB HDD, so isn't state of the art stuff.

I had to play around to find two that worked OK, but I managed to find them
in the end.
They aren't anything special at all, but both are capable of running at 800
X 600 and drive two entirely different monitors.
Almost all of the newer PCI video cards should work quite happily, it was
just that I was trying to use older cards that happened to be free!

If you get a pair that doesn't work, try swapping the cards over, and see if
that works. It did the trick for me, as one card was slightly older than the
other, and didn't like being the secondary card.

Also, it is better to use two PCI cards, as these seem more acceptable to
Windows. If you have an AGP video card, it might be that you will need to
force that to be the secondary card. There is some explanation about this on
the Windows website.

I found that I can run loads of small windows quite happily, and have the
main logging screen and RTTY window on the main monitor, and then have the
band-map, mult screens, packet window etc, on the second monitor.

With all that space, there is plenty of room to play around.

If someone needs to know what type of video cards I am running, then please
ask me direct, and I shall get all the details.

73 de Phil GU0SUP