[Re: [WriteLog] IC765 vs IC756]

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Re: [WriteLog] IC765 vs IC756]
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:27:25 -0800
On 12 Feb 2002 08:59:28 CST, Duane Calvin wrote:

>Not at all - ICOM, Ten-Tec and others allow you to use ONE COM PORT to address
>multiple rigs.  Running KW's, you have to have a com port for every rig (in
>addition to your TNC's, bandswitch boxes, etc, etc.).  Plus, ICOM's and others
>will operate in transceive mode over the "local network" - can't do that with
>the Kenwood.  I think ICOM did it right, and apparently others do too!  (For
>whatever that's worth...)

Ok, I'll give you that.  I don't run multiple rigs, so the Kenwood
advantage of one standard doesn't apply.

What's needed is a single standard among all manufacturers which would
allow for the daisy chaining you mentioned above.  Perhaps Universal
Serial Bus?  Not a programmer, don't know the implications, but it is
something to strive toward.

73, Bill W7TI