[WriteLog] Chopped CW - Use of USB Port?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Chopped CW - Use of USB Port?
From: jbastin@sssnet.com (John E Bastin, K8AJS)
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:48:57 -0500
At 11:59 -0500 02/19/2002, K4IA@aol.com wrote:

>Would the serial port behave better?  Can WriteLog be configured to use a USB
>port?  I am neither a computer not a WriteLog expert but leave the issues to
>others who may be able to shed some more light (not flame) on the issue.

The short answer to this is, no.

When I first started using WriteLog I was keying the radio (an FT1000MP)
through a simulated serial port created by using a Keyspan USB - PDA serial
adapter (my laptop has no serial ports). In one contest it worked pretty well,
CW keying and rig control through the same port, with only a small bit of
erratic keying from time to time.

I have not been able to get it to work even that well since. Maybe it got worse
in newer versions of WriteLog (I don't remember what version I started with,
maybe 10.25 or .26?), but although rig control has been good, CW keying now is
virtually unusable.

I went back to using my WB4VVF Accu-Memory keyer instead, or using the keyer in
the FT1000MP if I was in a contest that required a serial number in the
exchange (there are keying waveform shaping issues using the MP built-in keyer
that cause me to choose not to use it unless absolutely necessary).

J o h n   B a s t i n           K 8 A J S
jbastin@sssnet.com         K8AJS@arrl.net
    http://www.geocities.com/~tarquin