[WriteLog] WL Errors in ARRL DX SSB

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] WL Errors in ARRL DX SSB
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 21:26:44 -0500
> WL allows you to highlight and delete spots from the packet spot window.
> Perhaps you're asking for something else Dick?

Oops, silly me. I never even thought of using the DEL key! I was looking for
a right-click context menu. No need for that.

But when you do delete a spot, WL should highlight the next spot. The next
spot is actually selected (DEL works on it), but there's no highlight.

I also discovered that CTRL-left-ARROW and CTRL-right-ARROW do the same as
CT -- they put you in the spot window so you can scroll through the spots
with PAGE UP, PAGE DOWN, UP-ARROW and DOWN-ARROW. That's very important for
rapid-fire running of packet spots, ala CT. Unfortunately, it's all for
naught because once you grab a spot, you're out of the special spot window
mode again -- PAGE UP and PAGE down go back to scrolling though the log,
while UP-ARROW and DOWN-ARROW tab from field to field in the Entry window.

This is bad. It means you have to pick up the mouse and click on the window
for each spot you grab. So, you pick up the mouse, double-click on a spot,
drop the mouse to enter the exchange, hit ENTER, pick up the mouse to grab
the next spot, etc.  That's why I couldn't even run 100/hr, compared with
189/hr with CT. What makes doing it with CT so fast is that you do a
CTRL-ARROW into the spot window once, PAGE UP, PAGE DOWN, UP-ARROW or
DOWN-ARROW to the next spot, hit ENTER to grab the spot (context shifts to
log entry), work the station, hit ENTER to log the QSO, and repeat (context
shifts back to the packet spot window.) Your hands never leave the keyboard.
ESC gets you out of this mode. WL ought to work the same way.

In fairness, I should mention that this feature is also the source of an
*incredibly* frustrating bug in CT: certain common sequences cause you to
lose the QSO info when you hit ENTER to log it! I think it has something to
do with shifting context between the run and S&P frequency. I've lost
zillions of QSOs this way and so have a lot of contesters. This bug caused
me to move to NA, which eventually led me to WL.

I'm sure Wayne could implement the feature without the bugs! :-)

73, Dick WC1M