[WriteLog] FW: [Dx4win] Adding a comment to QSOs in an ADIF file.

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] FW: [Dx4win] Adding a comment to QSOs in an ADIF file.
From: Rick.Commo@verizon.net (Rick Commo)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 16:47:57 -0800
The FixADIF package may be of some interest to the WriteLog users.  The
package contains two programs.

ADIFComment.exe is a command line (DOS window) program that will add an ADIF
comment field to very QSO in the file.  The test of the comment field would
typically be the contest name.  A Dx4Win user lamented not be able to easily
distinguish his contest QSOs from his general QSOs once the were copied into
his general purpose logger.  I found myself thinking that it would be neat
to tag contest QSOS that way and through the program together in a couple of
hours while I watched the Olympics.

FixADIF is a Windows (Win32) version of the same program with the minor
extension that you select whether the text you enter will be a comment field
or a notes field.  Comment fields are specific to a QSO and Notes fields are
per call sign.  In the case of Dx4Win, multiple Notes field are additive.
Adding a Notes field to a contest log could make for some interesting Notes
for a call sign!

The package can be picked up at my Web site, http://k7log.no-ip.org.  It is
freeware.  The source code is not part of the package since it was built
using Visual Studio 6 and C++, but if anyone is interested we can make
arrangements.

After building the program I came to realize it was begging to be obsoleted.
It would really be nice to have included as part of WriteLog.  Perhaps as a
check-box as part of the Export ADIF function that would add a comment field
that contained the contest name and perhaps the year.

73s,
-ricK7log