[WriteLog] SO2R with two soundboards

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] SO2R with two soundboards
From: vk4uc@ozemail.com.au (John Cashen)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:57:46 +1000
For most of the past 10 months I have been inactive. During that time I had
thought how great it would be if my newly assembled SO2R station could
benefit exclusively from soundboard decoding using either 2 copies of RITTY
4.53 or RITTY using one board and MMTTY using the other. Just yesterday I
installed a Soundblaster SB-16 ISA board next a Soundblaster AWE-64 ISA in
my AMD-K6 500MHz PC.  Win98SE successfully absorbed the second board and,
after about an hour, I had figured out how to control the audio I/O of each
board separately.The SB-16 PNP installation produced two conflicts which I
easily eliminated manually.

  I first tried to run 2xRITTY, but it would only work with one board.
After reading again page 4 of the RITTY documentation it became clear why
the two soundboard setup wasn't working. RITTY uses the SET BLASTER
statement in AUTOEXEC.BAT  to find the soundboard. Apparently there can
only one such statement as the PNP feature in the SB-16 makes sure of that
when it sets that statement during boot up.

Perhaps someone has a bright idea about how to get around this roadblock.

After trying everything I could think of, I gave up(temporarily) and
decided to try and put MMTTY on the other channel. This installation went
easily and now I have two superb software-based DSP decoders operating
simultaneously  under WRITELOG. It will be easy to make side by side
comparisons of the two under a variety of conditions.

John  VK4UC