[WriteLog] OK! - the # key explained and Tx

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] OK! - the # key explained and Tx
From: Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net (Phil Cooper)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:54:01 -0000
Hi all,

Or should I say Whoa there!
Hmmm, seems I had my "English" head on when I wrote this, and maybe the
keyboard layout is different in the USA...................

For Don, and others, I quite frequently use the Alt-K type-ahead window, and
am quite happy for it to put the rig into Tx mode immediately, even if
clicking Alt-F within the RTTYRite window allows you to wait. That wasn't
the issue here. I find type-ahead great for spelling out my full call, (ie
GU0 not G0 etc) or even sending just part fo the exchange. It also gets used
to chat with folk, and generally make conversation - and yes! Even in the
midst of a pile-up.

So, this # key: perhaps I shouldn't have used # as the example.
The key I meant is the key at the extreme right hand side of the middle line
of letters, and immediately left of the big enter key. I now realise that
some keyboards have the # as part of the No 3 key, where ours has the UK
Pounds sign.

What I found that was hitting this key (mine also has the tilde - ~ on it)
causes the Tx to send a bit more than just a "diddle when idle" and it
sounds like it is transmitting one character over and over again, but this
won't stop until you hit the Esc key. Gil W0MN said he could get it to quit
with one press of the Esc key. I was doubtful, as I thought mine required a
couple of presses, but he is right, once is fine, but it isn't always an
immediate response!

I guess it isn't a bug, but it could cause someone (me!) a bit of a fright
when none of the obvious key presses seems to do anything.
Therefore, it may be one of those things that you simply have to avoid!

Maybe that makes it a bit clearer????????

Any comments??

73 de Phil GU0SUP