[WriteLog] RE: Cabrillo

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] RE: Cabrillo
From: k5zd@charter.net (Randy Thompson, K5ZD)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 23:02:44 -0000
The limitations of the Cabrillo format were actually part of the design
requirement by ARRL.  They wanted a flat file format that any novice
programmer could generate.

If the goal was to create a highly flexible file format, they would have
done some kind of self describing file format (using XML, similar to ADIF)
so that one format could be used for any contest.  That was deemed to be too
hard for everyone to handle (I wonder what kind of people they think write
logging programs?!).

So we end up with a fixed format that is specific to each contest.  De facto
"standards" are always difficult to replace.  ;)

Randy, K5ZD