[WriteLog] serial interface PCI expansion boards

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] serial interface PCI expansion boards
From: Ron Stordahl" <ronald.stordahl@digikey.com (Ron Stordahl)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:54:45 -0500
Interesting.....this is surprising to me, I would have thought it would use
the UART in 5 bit mode.  The reason is that I would not think you could
trust the timing in a multitasking machine to to generate consistent data,
while the UART would do so by design...and it is also buffered for a few or
more characters on the send side too.  Keep in mind that systems that try to
generate CW by toggling DTR do a inconsistent job, and generatting rtty
would require even more precision (timing accuracy).

Are you sure about this Steve?  TXD is data from the UART, I don't think a
program can toggle it (could be wrong).  RTS on the other hand would be
under driver control, however W2K and XP might not allow a user task to do
this with the built in driver.  Speculation here Ill admit.

On the PK900, no, of course not, its standard 8 bit no parity on the serial
line.

Ron N5IN